Tuesday 2 March 2010

a lack of control

Irrationality;


It hits us in unrelenting waves as we strike others around us with weight of the emotion. We have the thought that everybody must be setting out to annoy you today through their own stupidity and complete inability to manage things for themselves. It’s frustrating.
Needless to say, this is what occurred today when I threw a temper tantrum that Veruca Salt would have been proud of. It was compete with a stamping foot, a slammed door and a high pitched wail as I tried to make my point.


Incidentally, the point I was trying to make has managed to escape me, though I’m sure you can all appreciate its importance. However, whatever the reason for my transition back to a spoilt four year old, as far as a justification goes, it manages to fall flat.


Because really, where is the justification in emotion? Emotions are solidly illogical things. They control us. They are the captain of our whole being. They navigate us and there is little we can do except go along with it. Some days we can put up with more than we can on other days. There is no reason for it. No argument can be conjured on either side to defend your mood swings. They are what they are. We are ruled by them.


Mark Twain once said, “Any emotion, if it is sincere, is involuntary,” which in my mind, says it all. We are unable to predict our moods. They have the ability to swing from happy to sad in less than hour. We can’t ignore them either. Or at least, I can’t ignore them. I’ve yet to see the healthy aspects of keeping all your rage locked in like a cat in a crate. And, like the cat in the crate, they always manage to escape at some point. However, it always seems to end much better if you’re the one who lets it out. At least then you know where it’s going.

"To give vent now and then to his feelings, whether of pleasure or discontent, is a great ease to a man's heart"
-Francesco Guicciardini


No comments:

Post a Comment